Over one year, I'm going to ride the Tour de France. In my living room. I'll track where I am with Google Earth/Maps, and try to learn a little about France while I 'ride.'

Saturday, December 12, 2009

I've been biking, I just forgot to write about it!


View Larger Map Today I'm a little outside Locmalo, I found this charming bed and breakfast, but I am amused that a B&B in France feels the need to point out on of it's room is Frenchier than the others somehow.


So... Thursday was just crazy, and I didn't bike at all, I was just too tired.

Last night, I I didn't get home until late, and this morning, we're heading out for a while, so squeezing in five miles was a little tough- last night I actually did it in heels and stockings! Ooh la la. I felt very Parisian.

Anyway- so... Why I'm Doing This... I was reading Stephen King's book of short stories. I'll let Robert Busko tell you a little about the story from his book review: 
"Of all the stories included in Just After Sunset, my favorite is Stationary Bike. Richard Sifkitz has a belated physical and learns that his cholesterol is extremely high; dangerously so. Like so many of his generation he decides to get a stationary bike to exercise and hopefully ride off his health problems. Unlike many of his contempories, however, Richard rides his workout machine. He rides and he rides and he rides. He decides to paint a mural in the room he rides in to give him something to look at while he's working out. As in all of King's work, the simple mural turns out to be unique and Richard's bike takes him on trips he really doesn't want to make. This is a riveting story and is worth the cost of the book by itself. "

Part of the story has the character marking his progress along his childhood haunts on a map. Which I thought would be a cool way to 'see' another part of the world. Then, like a bolt from the blue, I thought, "The Tour de France." I knew absolutely nothing about the Tour de France except that it a) It was in France and b) Lance Armstrong something something.

So first I looked online to see if could buy a stationary bike. A little too expensive for a whim. Then, I called my mother-in-law and asked if she had a bike. She did, she had a knee replacement a while ago and got one for therapy. I asked my surprised husband if we could go pick it up now, that's right, I want to start right away. And I did.


I'd been feeling like I needed something to do, physically, recently I've been trying to walk a lot more, but sadly that often translated into shopping. I feel like I needed a little victory each day, and this is working. I also can feel myself getting a little fitter and standing up straighter- it's probably more mental than physical right now, but I don't care.

Another thing about that King book- at the end, he has an epilogue where the thanks you, the reader, and says something to the effect of, "It's better when you come with me." And that's the real reason I started doing this, I think- so I could make a journey, even if just a small one every day, and invite you along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Catalog

About Me

My photo
I have the mutant superpowers of finding good parking spaces and being able to make left-hand turns easily.

NeoCounter

Followers